A quick recipe for my Mum's special Cashew Nut sauce that we have for Christmas dinner. Yum!
- 100g (4oz) Cashew Nuts
- 570-900ml (1 - 1½ pints) Water
- 30ml (2tbsp) Oil
- 20g (¾ oz) Flour
- 10ml (2tsp) Soy sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- Toast the cashew nuts for 3-4 mins under the grill until golden brown
- Grind to a fine powder in a blender. Pour in 570ml (1 pint) water and blend until the mixture resembles a very thin milk.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan, add the flour and cook over a low heat for three minutes. Gradually pour on the cashew milk and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Add soy sauce and seasoning. Cook gently for a further 10 mins. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary.
- Keep an eye on the cashews as they toast - They burn easily
- Use Sunflower oil - Olive oil is too strong a flavour
- Make sure the low heat is low - Burnt flour tastes awful!
- This is just the same as making a white sauce except you are using "cashew milk" instead of ordinary milk. Keep stirring and don't let it burn at the bottom
Thanks Mum! I'll be whipping this up on Christmas day like a pro.